Thursday, February 7, 2013

:: Glimmer ::


This is my new painting 'Glimmer'. It is a painting about hope, a glimmer of hope. She watches a departure; an event that changes everything. She is in mourning and faces this; frozen. She stands strong, she is resolute. She can remember hope, it feels like an imagining; the idea of hope, the glimmer of hope. 

My Grandad Worcester passed away while I painted this. While it is not a painting about him it is a painting about the feelings of losing a loved one, a hope and a dream. We got out his fire fighting medals that he gave to us and showed them to our little friends... I remember when I had visited him in England I had (proudly) stopped biting my nails and he said my nails looked like sea shells; all new, shiny. He was a wonderful painter, craftsman, gardener, and a gentle soul. He taught my mother to paint and her me. It was my greatest wish to see him again and him meet his great grandchildren. Alas migration is keenly felt! We move house soon to a beautiful home with a stunning old garden. I spent most of my time when we went to look at the house in the garden! I can't wait to get stuck in. The house needs some renovating but only minor things; floorboards, new French doors.  I am so much looking forward to gardening, woodwork and a new painting something of a family tradition...